Help Wanted : Music Director
First United Methodist Church of Des Plaines
Music Director Job Description
Reports to: Pastor
Effective Date: Immediately
Hours: approx. 4-6 hrs/week
Compensation: The annual salary is between $8,000-$13,000 annually based on
experience and skill.
First Church Des Plaines (FUMCDP) is looking to hire a new music director. We are a United
Methodist Church that worships each Sunday at 10 am with a blend of traditional and
contemporary music. The Music Director will work closely with our pastor in cultivating
worship services to lead the congregation to connect with God. Mixing traditional hymns
and contemporary music to provide worshipful and reflective space.
● Choosing congregational hymns and musical pieces that engage the
congregation and support the reading, preaching and worship.
● Work with singers/choir on a weekly anthem.
● Schedule and lead regular choir practice.
● Teach new music and engage new people in the choir.
● Schedule substitute musicians when not available to play.
● Serve as a member of the worship committee
● Demonstrating a commitment to this congregation and its mission.
● Playing for services on Sunday mornings, and holiday services during advent,
Christmas, and lent.
● Coordinating for the care and maintenance of our piano(s) and organ.
EXPECTATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The music director is expected to: (A) be a skilled keyboard player. (Ability to play
organ is a strong plus). (B) lead singing and/or direct vocalist, (C) possess leadership
and organizational skills, (E) lead the choir, (F) communicate clearly and work with the
pastor, and (G) be a team player.